httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:57:17 GMT
David Southwell wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
> >
> > I'd prefer not to have any third party modules distributed from
> > www.apache.org since that implies something to users that we can't
> > control.
>
> Can I please differ - I would quite like a third party area and I do
> not think it need imply anything in particular other than it being a
> collection of resources.

A 3P area is certainly possible - but I agree with ben that it
shouldn't be on the www.apache.org site.  Possibly from a
contrib.apache.org, or something on modules.apache.org, but
www.apache.org should be solely for the HTTP server itself.
Pointers to other locations there should be fine.

>  - I would suggest that it be clearly labelled as being
> separately maintained.

Labeling doesn't work reliably, as I and others have pointed out
to you.  It needs to be in a clearly separate container, not in a
subsection of the main one.

> I would be willing to hemp manage it within a n agreed set of
> guidelines

'He who proposes, disposes.'  :-)  Draft up what you, as a 3P person,
think are reasonable guidelines.  We should be able to hammer out some
sort of compromise.

#ken	P-)}