httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: win32 makefile generator?
Date Wed, 05 Aug 1998 14:38:17 GMT
At 03:56 PM 8/4/98 -0700, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> Doug MacEachern wrote:
>> >
>> > At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
>> > generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go
away?  Is
>> > there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer
studio?

>> I had a program that generated the .mak's for Win32 modules, coz I got
>> bored of doing it manually. Various people insisted it was deleted after
>> a while, for reasons I never fully understood. NIH, I suspect. I didn't
>
>Um... no. It's still there.
>
>taz:~/apache-1.3/src/os/win32$ ls M*
>MakeModuleMak.cpp       MakeModuleMak.mak       Module.mak.tmpl
>
>It should be noted that it doesn't work; it generates MSVC 4.2 makefiles,
>and we're using 5.0 now, which requires both .mak and .dsp files
>(different .mak files than 4.2 used). The dependicies are also completley
>wrong, written as it was before we did the 1.3 directory reshuffling
>thing.

I see.

>I suspect it would take some work to get right.

Indeed!

>What I've usually done,
>IIRC, is just copy over one of the existing .mak/.dsp pairs and use Perl
>to do a find and replace on the name of the module. Then I open it with
>Visual Studio and let it fix whatever's wrong (save, export the makefile).

That's kinda what I had in mind for now.  Use an existing .mak for a
template and just have the perl module fill in $module_name and location
for ApacheCore.lib and include path for *.h.  If this can't be done easily
without have to go back into the studio and re-generating, I guess it's not
worth the time.

-Doug