httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs-1.10 just came out today!
Date Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:28:26 GMT

In article <19980817121651.65403@deejai.mch.sni.de> you wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 11:32:45PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> It is really a lot faster than CVS 1.9.28 because of the
>> brand-new builtin Diff and RCS code (especially noticeable at "cvs diff
>> -r<tag> operations"). Very good work by the Cyclic-guys!

> But diff and rcs were builtin since, ehhm, 1.9.22 or some such already.
> (That made it possible for be to port it to our EBCDIC machines without
> too much trouble).

Are you sure? I think they came in with 1.9.29 the first time.  Because in
1.9.28 I still had to adjust the header file inside CVS to reflect the correct
path to `diff' and `rcs' programs (because I install different versions and
don't use the system variants). But, it's not important. The fact is that
1.10 is now out and there the stuff is built-in which results in a major
performance increase.

For instance to assemble the apache.patch file in the mod_ssl distribution CVS
1.9.28 needed approximately 10-20 seconds.  With CVS 1.10 is now does the job
in about 5 seconds.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com