httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:56:17 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> The other point is that usually when one tests for the _existence_ of a header
> file one should not also test that its _working_ at the same time. In GNU
> Autoconf for the headers tests only CPP (or CC -E) is used. No actual compile
> is tried. This way the header dependencies can be ignored. I wanted to make it
> this way inside TestCompile, too. But it cannot be done without adding a check
> "how to run CPP stand-alone" to Configure.

Right now, TestCompile will test for the existance of headers, but
that's all it does. Marc's point is, I think, that this isn't enough.
Or maybe I'm misreading what Marc is saying.

TestCompile "counts" on the only failure when compiling the dummy program
in the header-section is the non-existance of the header. The dummy program
is simple enough that hopefully any interactions between the contents
of the header-being-tested-for and the program when being compiled is
minimal. Not sure how much more we want it to do.