httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: win32 makefile generator?
Date Wed, 05 Aug 1998 06:32:48 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980804155015.16327A-100000@myth3.Stanford.EDU> you wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

>> Doug MacEachern wrote:
>> >
>> > At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
>> > generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go away?  Is
>> > there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer studio?
>>
>> I had a program that generated the .mak's for Win32 modules, coz I got
>> bored of doing it manually. Various people insisted it was deleted after
>> a while, for reasons I never fully understood. NIH, I suspect. I didn't

> Um... no. It's still there.

> taz:~/apache-1.3/src/os/win32$ ls M*
> MakeModuleMak.cpp       MakeModuleMak.mak       Module.mak.tmpl

> It should be noted that it doesn't work; it generates MSVC 4.2 makefiles,
> and we're using 5.0 now, which requires both .mak and .dsp files
> (different .mak files than 4.2 used). The dependicies are also completley
> wrong, written as it was before we did the 1.3 directory reshuffling
> thing.

Just one simple question because I'm still confused by the Win32 stuff we
have: What exactly is the benefit from using DevStudio stuff instead of plain
Makefiles for this M$ "nmake" program as under Unix? The GUI?  I mean,
wouldn't it be sufficient to just have Makefile.nt files? What do we
gain from using these huge amount of .mak, .dsp files? Please forgive
my ignorance here.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com