httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Wed, 05 Aug 1998 06:19:43 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.4.00.9808041244160.17659-100000@redfish> you wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

>[...]
> The FreeBSD ports system is far easier in a lot of ways because it has to
> work on one platform, and if something isn't there on that platform you
> can just put it there.

Exactly, that's the point. FreeBSD is in luck because only two platforms have
to be supported: FreeBSD and OpenBSD (which share the ports stuff). This way
the Makefiles can rely on BSD Make, the existence of the "fetch" tool, etc.
So, it's not quite correct to directly compare the FreeBSD ports stuff to our
Apache situation, because we're confronted with a lot of braindead Unix
derivates, too.

> I'm thinking we will eitherh ave to go for doing the whole thing in C, or
> requiring perl5.  Requiring perl5 doesn't sound too bad to me.
>[...]

Yeah, that's exactly what I do with my automatic software installation stuff
(BnP). I've written it in Perl 5 because in C in would wasted too much time
writing it and Bourne-Shell is too lame for this job. The result is a Perl
Module which provides a mixture between Make's
"start-where-you-stopped-last-time" approach and Bourne-Shell's sequential
execution of commands. Sounds reasonable to me to use a similar approach for
Apache, too.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com