httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:48:54 GMT

In article <35C5CFCD.8AB0446B@Golux.Com> you wrote:
> David Southwell wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd prefer not to have any third party modules distributed from
>> > www.apache.org since that implies something to users that we can't
>> > control.
>>
>> Can I please differ - I would quite like a third party area and I do
>> not think it need imply anything in particular other than it being a
>> collection of resources.

> A 3P area is certainly possible - but I agree with ben that it
> shouldn't be on the www.apache.org site.  Possibly from a
> contrib.apache.org, or something on modules.apache.org, but
> www.apache.org should be solely for the HTTP server itself.
> Pointers to other locations there should be fine.

Ok, but why do we then have ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/contrib/?  The
"contrib" means "contributed stuff" and holds third-party stuff since years
now... Hmmm... although I find contrib.apache.org cool I think we are a little
bit too strong here with opinions.

>>  - I would suggest that it be clearly labelled as being
>> separately maintained.

> Labeling doesn't work reliably, as I and others have pointed out
> to you.  It needs to be in a clearly separate container, not in a
> subsection of the main one.
>[...]

I thought ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/contrib/ _IS_ a clearly sperate
container...  Hmmm.. I'm now a little bit confused.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com