httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/conf mime.types
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:44:48 GMT

In article <13765.48443.274210.482994@zap.ml.org> you wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall writes:
>  > rse         98/08/03 00:18:35
>  >
>  >   Modified:    src      CHANGES
>  >                conf     mime.types
>  >   Log:
>  >   Add correct `model' MIME types from RFC2077 to mime.types file.
>  >   +model/vrml			wrl vrml
>  >   -x-world/x-vrml			wrl vrml

> Will this will break working things? - ben hyde

Sure, when someone used x-world/x-vrml, it's now broken for him. But then its
broken with a reason: It's not conforming to the standard. So, backward-compat
is only interesting when it isn't against an existing standard and can be
provided in parallel for the standardized version.  This is not possible
inside mime.types, so IMHO its correct when we use _only_ the standardized
version. Isn't it?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com