httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j..@helios.de (Jens-Uwe Mager)
Subject Re: [Fwd: Problem 2534]
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:44:42 GMT

>Hmmm.  It looks like the pointer-rather-than-string comparison, while
>elegant, is suffering from some sort of hidden pointer manipulation on
>AIX.
>
>[Now that I understand it,] I'm loath to return to string comparison,
>since this sequence is also invoked for containers in .htaccess files,
>where the performance hit could be noticeable.
>
>On the other hand.. why does this appear to only happen with
></Directory> and none of the other container closures?  Hmmm.

It does not happen with all the compilers IBM shipped, at least the one
we have on our 4.3 system does not exhibit the problem. But then this
is the 32 bit version, not the one IBM rushed out to get 64 bit
capability. As far as I understand the 3.6.x xlC version is an
interim one, with the real 4.0 version expected this fall.

But I would suspect that they would probably point to some ANSI
standard and say the compiler can do with constant string adresses what
it likes, there is no way that a user program could rely on particular
addresses.

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3