httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 19:24:41 GMT
Marc Slemko writes:
 > On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
 > > +1 for splitting non-free stuff into a non-free hierarchy (see
 > > ftp.redhat.com for example, they have a non-free hierarchy)
 > I do _not_ like this splitting out.
+0 agree with Marc.

 > ... something very
 > similar to the FreeBSD ports; do not actually have the software be part of
 > the "port" as such, but have the port be strictly metadata required for
 > installation, with a reference to the source or binary.
+1

The FreeBSD ports design is such a delight!

 > What this does is make the ports system into a very lightweight thing that
 > doesn't require a huge amount of overhead for every port.  Once the
 > framework gets going, lots of people will contribute, authors will make an
 > "apache package" as a defacto part of their software, etc.

+1

Did I mention that FreeBSD ports is a delight?

 > ... We also don't necessarily want to do
 > packages either; packages are binary builds of the ports.  The reason for

 > this, obviously, is that FreeBSD has one platform to build packages for we
 > have two zillion, nine hundred billion, sixty million, six thousand and
 > forty one.

+1

 > OTOH, if we decided we wanted vendors to donate access to machines or
 > donate machines, then it wouldn't be too hard to automatically build them
 > without much hassle.

that would be another project for another day... :-).

The FreeBSD system has slightly larger stubs on the end user's machine
than we would need.  We can, and ought to, presume a
connection to the web.

Free: A quick overview of the FreeBSD ports system...
 - /usr/ports is the root of a shallow tree sorted
   by catagories, i.e. /usr/ports/lang/eiffel
 - A hierarchy of HTML embedded in this hierarchy
   documents what's what with one line and 100 word
   descriptions per leaf node
 - If you desire one of these ports you stand in the
   directory and type make.  That
   - recursively builds any ports this one requires.
   - fetchs the tar file from one of N places
   - checks a checksum stored locally.
   - builds, maybe tests it,
   - then maybe you type install (as root).
 - whereis <foo>
   knows about everything in the ports community
 - throwing away and enumerating what you've got is
   similarly easy.

 - ben