httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 18:35:06 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall writes:
 > Ok, but why do we then have ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/contrib/?  The
 > "contrib" means "contributed stuff" and holds third-party stuff since years

Ok, then it's water under the bridge.

 > now... Hmmm... although I find contrib.apache.org cool I think we are a little
 > bit too strong here with opinions.

Sorry if it came off that way.  My concern is only that we be
careful not to blur the line between what is and isn't the "server"
with it's quality and security.

I don't think we want to be in the biz of replacing the web as
a pool of resources for building web sites.

In one way this is like the third parties binaries issues, we need to
have a reasonable sense that we 'trust' the provider.  The press is
too dumb to avoid blaming use when bad things happen.

 > >>  - I would suggest that it be clearly labelled as being
 > >> separately maintained.
 >
 > > Labeling doesn't work reliably, as I and others have pointed out
 > > to you.  It needs to be in a clearly separate container, not in a
 > > subsection of the main one.
 > >[...]
 >
 > I thought ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/contrib/ _IS_ a clearly sperate
 > container...  Hmmm.. I'm now a little bit confused.

yes, i think is is, too.

Most importantly let me repeat: improving the technology,
documenation, support and for building modules outside of the apache
source tree is WONDERFUL!

 - ben hyde