httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [STATISTIC] Apache Development
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:19:15 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall writes:

 > In article <13765.49685.531238.472104@zap.ml.org> you wrote:
 >
 > > Ralf S. Engelschall writes:
 > >  > ... contributed to Apache. ... "Don't know any numbers". ...
 >
 > > Fun.
 >
 > > It is important to remain approprately light hearted about
 > > such numbers.
 > Oh, hell, yes. I see the point, too. But the statistic was just a
 > 1-hour-try-it-out hack to get a chart which gives some impression.

This is a different report I pulled together some time ago when
I first got access to taz.  It uses the history file which counts
other kinds of transactions.  It also merges series of transactions
by the same person.

> tail -5000 /home/cvs/CVSROOT/history | awk -F '|' '{print $2}' | uniq | sort | uniq -c
| sort -nr
  67 ben
  58 brian
  55 dougm
  53 coar
  38 martin
  36 hankin
  26 rse
  25 marc
  20 dgaudet
  12 richter
  12 jim
  10 manoj
   8 lars
   5 pcs
   5 fielding
   5 dirkx
   5 bhyde
   5 ask
   5 akosut
   4 rasmus
   4 ed
   3 randy
   2 chuck
   1 stoddard
   1 mjc
   1 khera
   1 ikluft

In school I had a professor of statistics that would say over
and over and over again that data is meaningless without a model,
it's taken me years to fully appreciate the depth of that mantra.

 - ben hyde