httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject [STATISTIC] Apache Development
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:12:58 GMT

Ralf S. Engelschall writes:
 > ... contributed to Apache. ... "Don't know any numbers". ...

Fun.

It is important to remain approprately light hearted about
such numbers.  I enjoy collecting numbers like these from
projects I work on.  So many times I've watched the arrival
of "numbers" like these create misunderstanding, hurt feelings
and defensiveness over and over again.

I'd particularly advise against collecting the number of edits by X
that caused bug later!  On time is also a terrible number.  On the
other hand # of edits to the bug database, help mailing list,
documentation, etc. are good since most people don't like that work.
I often monitor a mess of such numbers and make a point of going and
saying thank you when a person does the first in a new catagory.

Richard Gabreil's book has a nice story in it about the time
the CEO decided to layoff people based on # of hours they
worked.

 - ben