httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>
Subject Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir
Date Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:51:17 GMT
>>>>> "Dave" == Dave O'Neill <dmo@ccs.carleton.ca> writes:

Dave> Anyway, I've hacked mod_userdir to cache a runtime-configurable
Dave> number of getpwnam entries internally.  This was done because
Dave> our NIS server was handling a huge number of requests from one
Dave> of our web servers, and we needed some quick and dirty way to
Dave> reduce this.  The change seems to improve performance, though I
Dave> haven't had time to benchmark it at all.

What OS are you running?  The better NIS implementations have a daemon
running on each client that does this globably for all processes on
that client.  Its name, though, escapes me at the moment. [SIGH]

SunOS 5 definately has it, as does (will) glibc 2.1.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.
<cloos@jhcloos.com>