httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: ASP or IIS or NT bug?
Date Fri, 03 Jul 1998 00:26:45 GMT
>this works on some ASP pages
>(http://www.microsoft.com/sitebuilder/features/vb6web.asp::$DATA) but
>not others (try http://www.barnesandnoble.com/index.asp::$DATA)
>
>append to the URL of an ASP file:  ::$DATA
>
>you get the source of the asp-file, complete with database logins and
>passwords if used, etc etc...
>
>this also works with Cold Fusion files -- is this NT, ASP, IIS?
>
>-c
>--
>#################################################
>chris tacy              president and co-founder
>fire engine red         http://www.enginered.com/

I don't pretend to really have my head wrapped around this problem.

That said.

This problem requires that the files being served by on an NTFS
file system.  Things you can try to experiance the richness of
life.

  > echo foo > cool:alpha
  > more < cool
  > more < cool:alpha
  foo

What's going on here is that an NTFS file has multiple "data"
attributes (one of which is "unnamed") and here we are stuffing
something into the data attribute we happened to name "alpha."

Apparently the syntax  f::$DATA is a long winded way of saying
f, and naming the "unnamed".

This was, it appears, originally a way let the NTFS file system
store Macintosh files (which have two forks of data).

I haven't found this syntax documented yet. Can anybody point
out the documentation on this syntax?

This isn't NT, ASP, IIS, or even OLE Monikers, it is NTFS.

     - ben hyde