httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: 1.3.1...
Date Sat, 18 Jul 1998 21:44:12 GMT
> Umm, maybe, but I'm not sure I like using IS5. You tend to have to write
> IS5 install scripts with will lock you into the product. Since it is an
> awful piece of software, I'd prefer to keep Apache as neutral as possible.
> With IS2 we are doing that by making the configuration process a DLL. Most
> other installers can launch DLL's, so we can easily change when we find a
> less evil product. I really wish someone would write a good freeware Win32
> installer. Having to use commercial products like this in Apache doesn't
> give me a very good feeling.

Yeah, getting into the InstallShield blackmail scheme sucks.

For the PHP project we use a tiny little installer.  It isn't free, but it
only costs $29.  See http://www.user.xpoint.at/r.fellner/DL_Inf.htm

It does everything we need.  Not that we need much.  A couple of registry
entries, ask the user for an installation directory and have it copy the
files there.  It does this nicely.

-Rasmus