httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: os-solaris/2638: Building apache w/PHP doesn't add SERVER_SUBVERSION to httpd -v (fwd)
Date Fri, 17 Jul 1998 06:54:11 GMT
> > > I don't see any way to avoid this.  We can't call inits on -v (well, I
> > > don't think we want to although we _could_) so we just can't.
> >
> > In PHP's case calling the init handler from a -v would not cause a
> > problem, and it would indeed solve this problem.  The init_handler in the
> > PHP module calls ap_add_version_component() as it should.  Are there
> > problems in other modules?  I suppose we could add a version_handler field
>
> You can do some very expensive things from init routines, including things
> that kick off actions that you don't want done arbitrarily.  I'm just not
> sure it is wise.

PHP's handler is only:

    void php3_init_handler(server_rec *s, pool *p)
    {
        register_cleanup(p, NULL, php3_module_shutdown, php3_module_shutdown_for_exec);
#if MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER >= 19980527
        ap_add_version_component("PHP/" PHP_VERSION);
#endif
    }

The expensive stuff doesn't happen until one of the main handlers is
called.  Not that I am arguing to make this change.  I guess I just like
watching myself type at 3am...

-Rasmus