httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject Re: wanted: people with windows
Date Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:23:56 GMT
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, David D'Antonio wrote:
> Installed (upgrade actually so I got all those annoying message boxes at the
> end (AFTER I had said "Finish") about how it wasn't going to replace all
> my lovingly edited conf files :-)

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time to tell people that their
files weren't being overwritten but that they could see the new files with
different filenames. Any suggestions how to do an upgrade better?

> The installer sucked 100% of the CPU for a while before popping up its
> main window, which isn't "full screen" the way most IS windows are.

I think that we can thank IS2 for the busy wait. It also reminds me of a
pet peeve about windows installers - why do they insist on taking over the
whole screen. Isn't windows a multitasking OS? And if you background the
IS2 installer it pops itself to the foreground at multiple points during
the install, interrupting the real work I'm trying to do in other windows.
Grrr. And people call this a user friendly OS.

Paul