httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Plugging nice big security hole (OS/2)
Date Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:17:33 GMT
If people would just read the goddamn documentation they'd see that
<Location> protects URLs and shouldn't be used for filesystem protection
at all.

People using a <Location> that results in the default handler or any
"filesystem" handler deserve the trouble they get.

If that bothers you, or anyone else, then try to magically produce a
warning.  It's just how it is.  If you impose filesystem semantics on
<Location> then you've removed the ability to tie URLs to an arbitrary
database... something which we're already really shitty at doing, but
which is at least possible currently.

Dean