httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:51:39 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> One thing, though, that I think would be easy to do would be to take the
> mod_mime and mod_negotiation code that exists already to deal with
> Content-Encoding and Accept-Encoding for gzip/compress files, and
> translate that into TE/Transfer-Encoding for 1.1 requests with a TE
> header. That way we could serve already-compressed files and pretend they
> were being compressed on the fly; T-E is friendlier to caches than C-E,
> no?

Yes it's friendlier.  They're related, but different.

mod_negotiation does annoying things like responding "Content-Encoding:
gzip"  when the request didn't specify "Accept-Encoding: gzip".  It should
respond "Content-Type: application/gzip", or octet-stream or something.

I forget exactly why it's annoying at the moment.  There's more details in
the mozilla-general archives.

Dean