httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:23:44 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> Hmm? I don't see why one would need a cache; the point of gzip/deflate is
> to save bandwidth, not to process the request faster (although not having
> to spend the CPU compressing a file for each request is a nice thing),
> right?

Right, that's the point.

Also the point of caching is that if it's not "point-and-click", if the
admin has to do anything more than set up a directory for httpd to
scribble on and tell it how much to scribble, the admin won't do it... the
web designers won't make the effort to compress anything, yadda.  You have
to do it for them.

> > Layered i/o helps if you want to gzip mod_include, for example.
>
> Yes. Or static files, too. And then they get cached (thinking about the
> "magic cache" from the SF 2.0 discussions).

Right, in 2.0 it's easy.  In 1.3 it isn't.  (Which I believe was what I
said in the first post ;)

Dean