httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: record specweb...
Date Mon, 06 Jul 1998 17:05:42 GMT

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Christof Damian wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > http://www.sun.com/solaris/xeon/
> >
> > I'm still having a hard time convincing myself it's not cheating to put
> > http into the kernel.  ;)
>
> ;-)
>
> I wonder how high one of these new four way Xeon boxes (Dell PowerEdge
> 6300, IBM Netfinity 7000 M10, maybe even a VAResearch box) running Linux
> & Apache would score on SpecWeb.

It wouldn't do very well.  Maybe a result of 2000.  Linux has scaling
problems on SMP boxes (incoming bandwidth doesn't scale well, outgoing is
fine I believe).  Linux' network drivers also won't transition from
interrupt-driven to poll-driven mode under high load, which means cpu time
is wasted in interrupts.

> With the sendfile() stuff, (maybe flow,) some tuning together with the
> Apache Group it probably could be pretty high without httpd in the
> kernel.

No, you really need to get into the kernel to get that high.  flow gets
some of the way there, but to go all the way you need a kernel module (you
need flow in the kernel ;).

Dean