httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:01:37 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Jim Gettys wrote:

> > Is there something here I'm missing? Is he saying we should also implement
> > other transfer-codings, e.g., deflate? In that case, of course, TE would
> > make sense to implement...
>

> Yes, I'm saying that transfer-coding deflate (and gzip, but it isn't as
> efficient as deflate due to the unneeded file overhead) is a good thing...
> To do so in a routine way that is cache safe, you need to deal with TE.
> As I said, RFC2068 is buggy in this area, and TE is the fix.

Ah. Okay, I get it now.

Yes, I agree it would be good to support deflate. But I agree with Dean
that it's non-trivial doing it with the way Apache is currently set up
internally (although it makes a good case for layered i/o, Dean *grin*).
It could be added somewhat easily for static or already-coded files,
though, which is what I suspect Dean meant when he referred to a mod_te.