httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] Win32 assert: sub_canonical_filename() called with szFile==""
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:42:47 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > This runs into problems in ap_os_canonical_filename where the code now blows
> > > away trailing slashes.
> > >
> > > // Finally, a trailing slash(es) screws thing, so blow them away
> > >     for(nSlashes=0 ; d > b2 && d[-1] == '\\' ; --d,++nSlashes)
> > >  ;
> > >     /* XXXX this breaks '/' and 'c:/' cases */
> > >     *d='\0';
> >
> > Yup.  And I did fix that part to leave "/" and "c:/" (where c is any
> > drive; drives aren't restricted to letters, are they?  letters and a few
> > symbols I thought... although perhaps that was only DOS) (but didn't
> > commit the fix), but it doesn't do much good because they still aren't
> > applied properly, so then you could have the section but it would be
> > ignored, which is a bad thing.
>
> Under what circumstances is it ignored?

All circumstances as far as I am aware.

At the moment, if you try a "<Directory c:/>" or "<Directory />" it barfs
with an assert because it strips the trailing '/'.

If you fix the code so it doesn't strip tailing '/'s in that case, then
the sections just don't appear to match anything.  Obviously, there is
some other bug in there.  I think that not stripping the trailing '/'s off
such entries is the right thing to do, but it is academic at this point
because someone has to go through all the steps to see why it doesn't work
and what needs to be done to make it work.  But not for 1.3.1.