httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:42:20 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> While it's a good thing to support, it's not a walk in the park.  This
> comes down to needing a more generic form of caching, which is on the
> plate for 2.0.  Someone could do a mod_te for 1.3 with only moderate
> effort in my opinion, it wouldn't be perfect, but it could do the job.

I'm confused. I pulled up a copy of draft-ietf-http-vt11-spec-rev-03, and
read over the TE section. AFAIK, Apache doesn't need to do a thing in
order to implement it, because we support use any transfer codings except
identity and chunked (although I guess we *could* parse the header to
determine if the client perfers chunked over identity for a request where
we could serve either, i.e., entities with content-lengths, but that seems
trivial).

Is there something here I'm missing? Is he saying we should also implement
other transfer-codings, e.g., deflate? In that case, of course, TE would
make sense to implement...