httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_setenvif.c
Date Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:53:45 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> For example:  the SSL patch set.  apache-nspr.  The dozen or so
> performance and other tweaking patches referenced off  Any
> "contrib"/suspended patches sitting in the bugdb.  Untold others.
> Every time you make one of these damn changes you potentially fuck those

> Am I the only one that thinks this way?  If you want the joy of dealing
> with this crap then I suggest you try the next merge of 1.3.1 into
> apache-nspr.  You'll be cursing these changes just like me in no time.

I agree with Dean in practice, but not in principle: It seems to me
silly to disallow changes to our code base just because someone,
somewhere, might (okay, okay, does) have patches that they apply against
the source that those changes would screw up. If it is necessary to apply
patches to the source code of a product to add desired functionality, then
that product's public API is faulty.

As a practical matter, however, that's baloney, especially for Apache 1.3,
since there are known functionalities that cannot be accomplished within
the API framework, and there are known collections of major patches to the
source to acheive these (Apache-SSL, etc...), so it makes sense not to
change the source without good cause (although one could make the argument
that style is good cause.)

It is, however, a good reason to make sure the 2.0 API is a good one.

"Introducing the server so perfect, you don't have to patch it. In fact,
we're not going to give you source code, so you can't screw it up. Well, I
guess if you *really* wanted the source code, you could have it. For
$5,000,000.  And you can't give it to anyone. And if you make any changes,
we get to keep them and use them however we want."
    (from the release announcement of Microsoft Apache; Dec 1, 1999)

-- Alexei Kosut <> <>
   Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <> *

View raw message