httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: NT and case sensitivity
Date Sat, 04 Jul 1998 01:40:31 GMT
On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Cute.  MS has defined NT, as a whole, to be case insensitive for
> filenames.  However, NTFS is case sensitive and you can create files with
> the same name but differing case.  Win32 apps, however, can only access
> one of them.

Hmm! Actually, Windows is not alone in this problem. The MacOS and other
OSes that have case-insensitive filenames have the same problem when using
case-sensitive filesystems. Of which there are many (including HFS+,
IIRC).

I mean, while NTFS is a special case, you can't expect NT to do something
reliably correct when it expects "Foo" and "foo" to be the same thing, but
the Unix server you're accessing with Samba thinks they're different...