httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject config/2654: APACI autoconfig generates broken Configure.apaci (fwd)
Date Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:10:34 GMT
Sigh.  Broken broken broken.

First, the single unix spec grandly declares that echo shall take no
options and everyone should use printf to do anything useful.

Second, (my) history says that echo shouldn't interpret unless it gets -e.

On top of that, even according to the single unix spec "\1" should _NOT_
be treated as an octal because it isn't \01.

Obviously, we can't just use -E.

What is this echo that causes problems anyway, and where is \1 being used?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Jul 1998 19:02:58 -0000
From: Andreas Muck <andi@koala.rhein-neckar.de>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: config/2654: APACI autoconfig generates broken Configure.apaci

>Number:         2654
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       APACI autoconfig generates broken Configure.apaci
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
If the "echo" command intreprets the backslash characters by default, configure will generate
a broken Configure.apaci file. So, echo "\1" will actually produce the ASCII character with
the code 1 instead of the string "\1".
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Replace all "echo" in the configure script with "echo -E". Better yet (this may break on other
platforms) use a customizable variable ECHO in the script so one can edit one line to get
the echo command work the way it should.