httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:05:58 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Like I said a while ago, it isn't worth implementing this til 2.0.
> It is a performance optimization that won't be effective for a long
> while anyway, the best way to implement it is with layered i/o, doing
> it now would mean adding the deflate library code to Apache, and
> we have other things that need to be implemented first.

> That is, unless someone is dying to do it right now, in which case they
> are welcome to dive in.

No; we have hacked it in (much the same way as SSL, just cashing in on
that) and it is hardly worth the trouble. Even if you have fully layered
IO you need big documents to warrant it; we found that only with some ps
documents it made a difference, but with most HTML, PDF and GIF it was
just not worth the cycles (and the latency/blockage) spend on output.

Dw.