httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:03:34 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Yes it's friendlier.  They're related, but different.
> >
> > mod_negotiation does annoying things like responding "Content-Encoding:
> > gzip"  when the request didn't specify "Accept-Encoding: gzip".  It should
> > respond "Content-Type: application/gzip", or octet-stream or something.
> >
> > I forget exactly why it's annoying at the moment.  There's more details in
> > the mozilla-general archives.
>
> 1. Browser knows nothing about content-encodings. It requests foo.html.gz

But it has not claimed to know about it; i.e. there was no Accept-Encoding
in the request. Though we are now seeing some request come in from some
custom proxies and some mac browser which does specify an encoding. So at
some point this will become an issue.

> 2. Apache returns "Content-Type: text/html / Content-Encoding: gzip"
> 3. Browser things "oh! an HTML file. I know how to display this."
> 4. User gets a screen full of garbage.
>
> That's a bad thing.

Yup. As is Accept-Type: Barf/Borf; */* The world of negotion is evil.

Dw.