httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject RE: remove PID on shutdown
Date Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:06:50 GMT
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 09:16 AM 7/23/98 -0600, Charles Randall wrote:
> >There's so many exit() calls in http_main.c, I don't think that there's an
> >easy and convenient place to put this.
>
> Plus, "exit" may be called when the server is in an unsteady state, and the
> pointer to the pid file may be corrupted, leading the Apache process, as
> root, to removing an essentially random file.  Or maybe I'm full of it and
> that's not a possible event... but having a pid file around is just not

Possible.  Unlikely.

> something to be concerned about IMHO.  A bigger annoyance for me is the

It is a big problem because it means that you can not use the PID file at
startup to check if it is running.  This is a very big deal if you try to
use something like 'apachectl start' from your boot scripts, then you add
another process that starts before Apache and changes the pid.