httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: config/2664: Syntax error at line 23 of file 'access.conf' (fwd)
Date Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:21:26 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Looks like there may be a problem with the xlC compiler or runtime library.  A
> member of our team (shaneo@us.ibm.com) has been able to recreate the problem with
> the following setup. Here is the note he just sent to me:

Thanks.

Note that this may be Apache's fault and isn't necessarily a bug in
the compiler.

Hmm.  Looking at the code... wtf.  This code looks way bogus to me.
It does:

static const char *end_nested_section(cmd_parms *cmd, void *dummy)
{
    if (cmd->end_token == NULL) {
        return ap_pstrcat(cmd->pool, cmd->cmd->name,
            " without matching <", cmd->cmd->name + 2, " section", NULL);
    }
    if (cmd->cmd->name != cmd->end_token) {
        return ap_pstrcat(cmd->pool, "Expected ", cmd->end_token, " but saw ",
            cmd->cmd->name, NULL);
    }
    return cmd->end_token;
}

Note the comparison between cmd->cmd->name and cmd->end_token.
Me thinks that should be a strcmp or strncmp (haven't looked to
see which).  What is happening is that other compilers end up
optimizing things so both references to </Directory> occupy the
same memory, while this one, for whatever reason, doesn't.