httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] Win32 assert: sub_canonical_filename() called with szFile==""
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:29:54 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> >
> > > A colleague of mine just tried a compilation of today's apache-1.3.1-dev
> > > under WinNT. He reports no major compilation problems, but
> > > runs into an assertion in os/win32/util_win32.c line 24 because
> > > sub_canonical_filename() -after being called several times successfully-
> > > is finally called with an argument of szFile == "" (empty string).
> >
> > The problem is due to having a path in the form "/" or "c:/" in your
> > config file in a directory section or something.  Remove that and you
> > should be happier.
> >

> Confirmed.  The default access.conf has a directory section <Directory />.
> This runs into problems in ap_os_canonical_filename where the code now blows
> away trailing slashes.
>
> // Finally, a trailing slash(es) screws thing, so blow them away
>     for(nSlashes=0 ; d > b2 && d[-1] == '\\' ; --d,++nSlashes)
>  ;
>     /* XXXX this breaks '/' and 'c:/' cases */
>     *d='\0';

Yup.  And I did fix that part to leave "/" and "c:/" (where c is any
drive; drives aren't restricted to letters, are they?  letters and a few
symbols I thought... although perhaps that was only DOS) (but didn't
commit the fix), but it doesn't do much good because they still aren't
applied properly, so then you could have the section but it would be
ignored, which is a bad thing.

Sigh.