httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: NT and case sensitivity
Date Sat, 04 Jul 1998 01:44:12 GMT
On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Cute.  MS has defined NT, as a whole, to be case insensitive for
> > filenames.  However, NTFS is case sensitive and you can create files with
> > the same name but differing case.  Win32 apps, however, can only access
> > one of them.
>
> Hmm! Actually, Windows is not alone in this problem. The MacOS and other
> OSes that have case-insensitive filenames have the same problem when using
> case-sensitive filesystems. Of which there are many (including HFS+,
> IIRC).
>
> I mean, while NTFS is a special case, you can't expect NT to do something
> reliably correct when it expects "Foo" and "foo" to be the same thing, but
> the Unix server you're accessing with Samba thinks they're different...

No, but I can expect that a filesystem designed for NT (hence the odd
name NTFS) that is case sensitive is lame.  Well, more like NT is lame
because it isn't, but...

NT implements case sensitivity in its POSIX layer, so POSIX apps can
create files that Win32 apps can't properly access.

Not only that, but NT pretends it is case sensitive by showing things in
mixed case.

I really have trouble seeing why it wouldn't be worth the tiny extra pain
(since you have long names to deal with anyway) to have case sensitive
filenames.