httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/2518: additional information on what looks similiar to PR#1558 (fwd)
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:02:55 GMT
And note that running as LocalSystem is (if I am not mistaken) a dumb
thing to do.  Again, if I am not mistaken then IIS starts as that user but
actually serves files as someone else?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 Jul 1998 15:46:55 -0000
From: wgstodda@us.ibm.com
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org, flljr@laczko.org, wgstodda@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: os-windows/2518: additional information on what looks similiar to PR#1558

Synopsis: additional information on what looks similiar to PR#1558

State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
State-Changed-By: wgstodda@us.ibm.com
State-Changed-When: Tue Jul 14 08:46:54 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
By default, an NT service runs in the security context of
the LocalSystem account. The LocalSystem account does not
have security credentials, which means, among other things,
that it cannot access shared files.

To get around his problem, you should add a new user ID to
the NT system that is running apache, then modify the
apache service in the services panel to start as that user.  He will then be able to access
the images.
(and make sure that the new user has accesss to the files
you want to serve up).

I'll leave the PR in analyzed state for now and close it
after giving some time for comments...