httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j.@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys)
Subject Re: request that we support TE
Date Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:50:29 GMT

> Sender: new-httpd-owner@apache.org
> From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
> To: new-httpd@apache.org
> Subject: Re: request that we support TE
> -----
> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > While it's a good thing to support, it's not a walk in the park.  This
> > comes down to needing a more generic form of caching, which is on the
> > plate for 2.0.  Someone could do a mod_te for 1.3 with only moderate
> > effort in my opinion, it wouldn't be perfect, but it could do the job.
>
> I'm confused. I pulled up a copy of draft-ietf-http-vt11-spec-rev-03, and
> read over the TE section. AFAIK, Apache doesn't need to do a thing in
> order to implement it, because we support use any transfer codings except
> identity and chunked (although I guess we *could* parse the header to
> determine if the client perfers chunked over identity for a request where
> we could serve either, i.e., entities with content-lengths, but that seems
> trivial).
>
> Is there something here I'm missing? Is he saying we should also implement
> other transfer-codings, e.g., deflate? In that case, of course, TE would
> make sense to implement...

Yes, I'm saying that transfer-coding deflate (and gzip, but it isn't as
efficient as deflate due to the unneeded file overhead) is a good thing...
To do so in a routine way that is cache safe, you need to deal with TE.
As I said, RFC2068 is buggy in this area, and TE is the fix.
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Digital Industry Standards and Consortia