httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: Protocol versus precedent..
Date Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:07:54 GMT
>So the question is, should a missing field be treated in a manner
>identical to one with no value?  (Provided the latter's legal;
>I haven't checked.)

It is legal, and they have different meaning in HTTP, so I'd say that
they should not be treated as identical.  Consider the semantics for

That doesn't solve the problem of how to denote the null condition
(field not present in request) versus the empty-string condition
(field present with empty value) when used in config strings.
Perl would use the reserved word "undef", which is actually what
I had in mind when defining this stuff in HTTP.

View raw message