httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject IETF standards
Date Tue, 07 Jul 1998 18:10:36 GMT
The IETF standards process is a bit weird in that the revisions
to a proposed standard are listed as Internet Drafts even when
they are known to be better than the original RFC.  During the
revision process, it is necessary for vendors to implement according
to the new draft in order for the new draft to become a Draft Standard
(the step above Proposed Standard, which is where RFC 1738 and RFC 1808
currently rest in peace).  We cannot wait until the revisions become
an RFC.  In other words, we are better off leading the actual standard
rather than following it.

Both of the comments in PR 2553 are correct: the URI supplied by the
user is invalid, but Apache should still be able to handle it.  This
falls under the "be robust in what you accept" principle and is
explicitly allowed by the URI syntax revision, even though generators
are required to make URI all-ASCII for greater interoperability.

.....Roy