httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for URI->filename mapping doc.
Date Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:21:37 GMT

Alexei Kosut wrote

> On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
>
> > If the implementation matched this doc would it be
> > safe, useful, and a good thing?  - ben
>
> Possibly. I really don't like the idea of having directives turn on and
> off certain behaviors WRT this stuff. It just doesn't seem like a good
> idea. It seems certain to me that we should be able to determine what
> filenames are legal, and which are not, and stick to it without causing
> problems (of course, implementation may be another issue).

I definately agree that a mess of stuff has to be hardwired as
illegal.  You can't turn off trailing space stripping or errors when
'<' characters  appearing in a file name, etc. etc.

I've got no problem with leaving those directives unimplmented for now
and just hardwiring the settings they have at first.  Each of those
directives can probably stand on their own as a nice tiny addition to
the server.  In writing it I found that having the directives make it
seemed more natural.

In senarios where the request to the server is storing into the
file system the user probably wants to say "Yeah sure you can put
control characters in your file names, but no I'm not going to let
you."

> [...]
>
> > When it becomes necessary to convert this name to an actual
> > filename the following rewrites are done.  These are done
> > only on Windows to create a UNC.  Apache does not ever use
> > the disk syntax (e.g. "C:\foo\bar.txt").
>
> Uh... it doesn't?

It does now and I think that's a mistake.  (a) We ought to support UNC file
names.  (b) Currently we don't allow serving from "networked file systems"
because the code that rewrites \\c\foo -> c:\foo breaks down, (c)
I want the simple rule that colon is in the class "troublesome", and (d)
I don't want two ways to name the same file, one being the \\c\foo and the
other being the c:\foo, because then you have to set up a mess of rules
for how that is normalized.

 - ben hyde