httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Fwd: 1.3.1 missing pgp signature
Date Sat, 25 Jul 1998 23:09:42 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I disagree.  Last time I signed a release we got a few dozen emails
> indicating I'd done it wrong.  Apparently I wasn't supposed to use the
> most recent pgp 5, or some crap like that.  Excuse me, but pgp sucks.

Excuse me, but your inclination to give inadequate effort to things
in which you're not interested, and saying that they therefore suck,
sucks. :-)

All the stuff about the different version interoperability issues was
discussed on this list long ago.  Yes, it's nothing short of a massive
PITA; as far as I'm aware, blame RSA for that - it wasn't PGP's idea.
Like the U.S.' attitude on encryption, it's rubbish - but you
have to live with it if you want to use the stuff under circumstances
in which the rubbish obtains.

>                                            The key servers seem to change
> address every couple of months, and there's no damn FAQ that says "here
> are the 12 steps to working well with the rest of the world".

The issue of the key servers has nothing to do with the value and
viability of PGP, and doesn't really relate to the tarball signing
issue anyway.  And someone has already pointed you to a FAQ.

> I wasted, and I do mean waste, a day trying to figure it out.  And I
> couldn't.  I still can't interoperate with eudora's pgp plugin.  I still
> don't know if my key is in the right key servers.  I don't know if my pine
> pgp plugin is doing the right thing... the list goes on.

And none of those have anything to do with signing a release tarball,
so are red herrings.

I guess the bottom line here is, 'don't ask Dean to do any releases or
sign any tarballs or touch PGP with a ten-nanosecond pole,' right? :-)

Just wait 'til PGP is written in C++! :-D

#ken	P-)}