httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: who has is2 they can use
Date Sat, 18 Jul 1998 18:19:37 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> > > It's designed so you only have to do a single search-and-replace to get
> > > your local paths into it, but it is certainly easier if you do an Apache
> > > build and install to the default location (C:\Apache), since then
> > > apache.iwz doesn't need changing.
> >
> > Errr ... right - so MSVCRT.DLL lives in the Apache install directory,
> > does it? (For example).
>
> Yes. IS2's configuration has to pick it up from somewhere. On most systems
> that would be C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINDOWS or whereever, but that is
> system dependent, meaning you would *definitely* have to customise
> apache.iwz for your site. Or you might keep your MSVC redistributable
> files somewhere separate from the live windows directories.
>
> Instead, the how-to-build docs tell you to copy MSVCRT.DLL from whereever
> you prefer to keep it into C:\Apache, so that it is in a known location
> for apache.iwz. There's even a copy of cut-n-paste commands in the
> how-to-release doc for windows and windows NT systems to make this
> trivially easy (assuming I committed that -- I think I did).
>
> Similarly for the source, conf and other directories. You might check them
> out anywhere, but as long as you follow the docs and copy them to
> C:\Apache (or whereever) everything is reduced to a dependency on a single
> path.
>
> > Put it this way - I did do a build and install to the default location,
> > and apache.iwz needed LOADS of changing.
>
> I still don't understand why. Are you following the how-to-release?

Errr, nope. It'll work much better if I do!

> What
> needed changing? What files are not in the right place in C:\Apache? I
> think there may be one or two differences from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 but nothing
> serious.

Yeah, seems that way.

> > I suspect you are assuming that c:\apache is also where the CVS tree
> > lives, which ain't the case in this part of the world. And doesn't
> > explain msvcrt.
>
> No, C:\Apache is just an intermediate directory. You should not check out
> apache into it,

Hmmm ... I quote "Now create the install directory, and extract Apache
into it. The Apache files will normally come either direct from CVS at a
given tag value, or ...". That sounds rather liking checking apache out
to me.

> nor build Apache in it. This is should be documented.  It
> could be anything (as the documentation explains) if you already have a
> C:\Apache. You should make sure that C:\Apache (or whatever intermediate
> directory you use) is completely empty before starting a build.

That's a pain, then I have to check it out twice! Is this really
necessary? Can't I just check out Apache to c:\apache then build/install
it, then run IS2?

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/