httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BUG] Win32 assert: sub_canonical_filename() called with szFile==""
Date Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:10:28 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 10:50:16AM -0600, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:
> >
> > > Um,  _please_  take another look at ap_os_canonical_filename where
> > > the code blows away trailing slashes.  As of the last cvs snapshot
> > > I have today (19980716130028), it builds but still dies at runtime
> > > when it sees <Directory /> in the default
> >
> > Yes, that is what I said.
> >
> > The workaround I plan for the release is just to remove that from the
> > default config file for now.
>
> We're ready to contribute a patch to fix the problems with
> <Directory />. In fact, we are pretty close to a total
> reimplementation of the win32 canonical filename routines. This
> rewrite also switches from a recursive to iterative implementaion of
> sub_canonical_filename. But, we're not quite sure exactly which cases
> we should have handled in this routine. Can someone enlighten us?
>
> Also, we're not sure we'll be able to support UNC names in these new
> routines yet. But, since UNC paths can be mapped to network drives,
> this shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Once we're clear on what we need to support exactly, we can have the
> patch ready sometime between today and Monday.

There's also been talk of being stricter about what URLs are allowed to
map to paths, and of doing canonicalisation during directory_walk().
Either of these may render your work redundant or incorrect. But that's
no reason not to proceed :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/