httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Confusion: run_method and optimized lists? (Dean?)
Date Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:40:10 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > The reason why I didn't discovered this while I've done
> > my "grep core_translate" is because Dean calls it via
> >
> >     /* we require other modules to first set up a filename */
> >     res = core_module.translate_handler(r);
> >     if (res == DECLINED || !r->filename) {
> >         return res;
> >     }
> >
> > Shit! In other words: Whenever mod_mmap_static is present (independed if used
> > or not!) the complete translation phase comes out of sync because
> > mod_mmap_static itself runs the methods again.
>
> It doesn't run the methods again, it only runs core_translate.
>
> I thought I had a comment in there saying mod_mmap_static should be the
> first module (i.e. lowest priority above core).  That's where it's
> supposed to be... it's supposed to run after mod_rewrite and mod_alias
> have had a chance to translate the filename, not before.
>
> I'm curious though, the example setup you gave me, does that really enable
> mod_mmap_static?  It shouldn't be enabled at all in any server by default.

This reminds me - do we have a coherent plan for this in 2.0? Coz this
messing about with placement in Configuration seems doomed to failure in
the long run, IMO, as well as being completely tedious to manage.

Apache-SSL has this problem, too. In order to do some of its tricks, it
needs to be high-priority. But really, it only needs it for certain
phases. I suspect we need to be able to define priority phase-by-phase.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/