httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Protocol versus precedent..
Date Fri, 10 Jul 1998 21:15:55 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> That doesn't solve the problem of how to denote the null condition
> (field not present in request) versus the empty-string condition
> (field present with empty value) when used in config strings.
> Perl would use the reserved word "undef", which is actually what
> I had in mind when defining this stuff in HTTP.

Well, for the sake of consistency I went ahead and patched
mod_setenvif to behave the same way mod_rewrite does - namely,
match "^$" for both missing and empty field values.  It seemed
to me that the user base was better served that way.

We can Do It Right and add a special "undef" pattern token at
some point post 1.3.  MHO..

#ken	P-)}