httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_setenvif.c
Date Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:34:00 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On 10 Jul 1998 coar@hyperreal.org wrote:
>
> > coar        98/07/09 17:54:18
> >
> >   Modified:    src/modules/standard mod_setenvif.c
> >   Log:
> >       Yes, I know this is style-guide/indent stuff, but I'm tracking down
> >       a possible bug and want to have a clean basis for any changes.  I.e.,
> >       I'm not just being capricious..
>
> It's not about being capricious.
>
> It's about folks who try to maintain patch sets against the base code.
>
> For example:  the SSL patch set.  apache-nspr.  The dozen or so
> performance and other tweaking patches referenced off www.apache.org.  Any
> "contrib"/suspended patches sitting in the bugdb.  Untold others.
>
> Every time you make one of these damn changes you potentially fuck those
> up *FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON*.
>
> I'm sorry, but I just do not agree with this.  Everyone had their chance
> to do style guide crap ages ago.  That time is past.  We can let it come
> again when we've got 1.3.x stabilized -- such that we're not trying to
> pull changes into apache-nspr.
>
> If a patch breaks because someone fixed a bug in the area of the patch,
> then that's fine.  That's expected.  But it's just wrong to force people
> to have to hand patch every single minor revision.
>
> Am I the only one that thinks this way?  If you want the joy of dealing
> with this crap then I suggest you try the next merge of 1.3.1 into
> apache-nspr.  You'll be cursing these changes just like me in no time.

Yes, I agree. Looking at why Apache-SSL patches fail to apply is bad
enough without having to deal with whitspace/rearrangement differences.

BTW, if Ken needs to have it formatted a certain way to fix a bug,
surely he can format it, track the bug down, blow away the formatting
changes, then fix the bug? Or even fix it twice (after all, all he needs
to do is take a diff, blow away the formatting changes, then apply the
diff. What's that you say? The diff won't apply? Oh, well, blow me
down...).

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/