httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support suexec.c
Date Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:45:36 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Your log messages did not indicate the PR#, otherwise I would have
> familiarized myself with it.

Because the work wasn't complete, which is also why nothing was said
in CHANGES.

> So, why should we put potentially nasty string manipulation code
> into a setuid executable when there's no problem to diagnose?

Because it's an infrequent code path and it would be really nice
to understand why it gets traversed when it does?  As it stands,
when that error path is taken there'll be some headscratching -
and, as you said, some debugging code added then.

> I'm just using my time efficiently -- and that means eliminating
> the latency of going back and forth on something privately and
> then having to explain it all publically again.

Just think how efficiently you would have used your time
if you hadn't even spent it on this. :-)

> Furthermore, in this particular instance, I imagine Marc supports
> my action -- as he already posted to new-httpd about your
> code.

Well, it would have been nice to let me respond directly myself,
rather than leaping into the middle before I had a chance.

#ken	P-)}