httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: general/2553: URL:s containing the character '' gets trucated (See also PR 800)
Date Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:10:02 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yeah, except apache doesn't enforce this in any way shape or form, so
> that doesn't explain this PR at all.

No, but it explains why we shouldn't bother to spend time on it.

> (Not enforcing it is very deliberate, Roy can elaborate.)

That would be good, I wish he would.  We close other PRs about
illegal characters in URLs.  Is it because the RFC1738 replacement
(that I don't think is an RFC yet) allows 8-bit characters?

By the way, I think some discussion or explanation is merited
before people unilaterally reverse other people's PR changes.
I wouldn't reverse one of yours without checking with you
first; I'd appreciate the same courtesy being extended by all to
all.  It just makes us look fractious and stupid.

Unless RFC1738 has been replaced (which AFAIK it hasn't yet),
the original closure message is technically correct - regardless
of whether Apache chooses to be more lenient than the RFC.
Otherwise we're encouraging bad behaviour.  Why don't you re-open
#800, then, since Marc said the same thing there?

#ken	P-)}