httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal for URI->filename mapping doc.
Date Mon, 06 Jul 1998 20:54:44 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
> >
> > > If the implementation matched this doc would it be
> > > safe, useful, and a good thing?  - ben
> >
> > Possibly. I really don't like the idea of having directives turn on and
> > off certain behaviors WRT this stuff. It just doesn't seem like a good
> > idea. It seems certain to me that we should be able to determine what
> > filenames are legal, and which are not, and stick to it without causing
> > problems (of course, implementation may be another issue).
>
> I definately agree that a mess of stuff has to be hardwired as
> illegal.  You can't turn off trailing space stripping or errors when
> '<' characters  appearing in a file name, etc. etc.
>
> I've got no problem with leaving those directives unimplmented for now
> and just hardwiring the settings they have at first.  Each of those
> directives can probably stand on their own as a nice tiny addition to
> the server.  In writing it I found that having the directives make it
> seemed more natural.
>
> In senarios where the request to the server is storing into the
> file system the user probably wants to say "Yeah sure you can put
> control characters in your file names, but no I'm not going to let
> you."
>
> > [...]
> >
> > > When it becomes necessary to convert this name to an actual
> > > filename the following rewrites are done.  These are done
> > > only on Windows to create a UNC.  Apache does not ever use
> > > the disk syntax (e.g. "C:\foo\bar.txt").
> >
> > Uh... it doesn't?
>
> It does now and I think that's a mistake.  (a) We ought to support UNC file
> names.

Eh? I spent some time making UNC work. Did it get broken again?

>  (b) Currently we don't allow serving from "networked file systems"
> because the code that rewrites \\c\foo -> c:\foo breaks down,

Not sure what you are trying to say here: \\c\foo means "a machine
called c with a share called foo" to me - don't tell me MS treat it
differently?

> (c) I want the simple rule that colon is in the class "troublesome", and (d)
> I don't want two ways to name the same file, one being the \\c\foo and the
> other being the c:\foo, because then you have to set up a mess of rules
> for how that is normalized.

I hope I've temporarily moved to another planet, and come the morning
I'll be back on Earth.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/