httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: NT and case sensitivity
Date Sat, 04 Jul 1998 02:04:14 GMT
This whole case-sensitivity thing has been chewing my backside
for about the last fortnight, though not so specific to Win32.
As has been said before, and should come as no surprise, we're
severely limited by our having to do name abstraction at the
host-platform level rather than at the filesystem level.  Oh,
if only there were a reliable way to determine that a particular
file is on an NFS filesystem, or NTFS, or VMS, or FAT, or AFS,
or ...  Unfortunately, completely hiding the details of the
underlying location or transport seems to be a primary goal
of distributed filesystem designers.  Making things transparent
and seamless to the user is fine - but there should be A Way for
those with enquiring minds.

If anyone knows of any work done to make this sort of
determination possible I would be most appreciative to hear
about it..

#ken	P-)}