httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject RE: remove PID on shutdown
Date Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:35:48 GMT
At 09:16 AM 7/23/98 -0600, Charles Randall wrote:
>There's so many exit() calls in http_main.c, I don't think that there's an
>easy and convenient place to put this.

Plus, "exit" may be called when the server is in an unsteady state, and the
pointer to the pid file may be corrupted, leading the Apache process, as
root, to removing an essentially random file.  Or maybe I'm full of it and
that's not a possible event... but having a pid file around is just not
something to be concerned about IMHO.  A bigger annoyance for me is the
fact that the accept.lock.* files are left around sometimes, and they get
different filenames because the pid is part of the filename.  Maybe we
should make the port:primaryIP be the filename extension rather than the pid?

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices  |
acquired by the age of eighteen." - Einstein   |

View raw message